Government officials said that the human trial of the Indian-developed Coronavirus vaccine Covaxin has started in a hospital in Uttar Pradesh. The trial is being held at Rana Hospital and Trauma Center, which is one of the 12 institutes selected for clinical trial of this vaccine.
Venkatesh Chaturvedi, Chief Administrative Officer of Rana Hospital and Trauma Center told PTI that the trial is being done under the supervision of Dr. Ajit Pratap Singh and Dr. Sona Ghosh. Currently, 9 volunteers have been given the vaccine.
The vaccine for typhoid and Japanese encephalitis has already been tried in this hospital. Talking on this issue, Venkatesh Chaturvedi said that we have started clinical trials of Bharat Biotech vaccine and soon the trial of Zydus Cadila vaccine will start.
Meanwhile the first phase of human trial of Covaxin at PGIMS Rohtak has been completed. The test was started on 17 July with 50 volunteers. Principal Administrator of the Vaccine Trial Team, Dr. Savita Verma told the news agency ANI that about 50 people had been vaccinated across India. So far its results have been very good.
- Volunteers must be healthy,
- Only volunteers from 18 to 55 years of age were included in this test,
- It has to be completed in three phases, for which a total of 12 institutes have been selected across the country.
- In all institutions, at least 375 people are participating in the first phase together.
Apart from Uttar Pradesh, the first phase trials have started in Hyderabad, Rohtak, Patna, Kanchipuram, Delhi, Goa and Bhubaneswar.
- This vaccine is named Kovaxin. Which has been jointly developed by Bharat Biotech International Limited, Indian Council of Medical Research and National Institute of Virology.