On Sunday, a suicide car bomber struck an army base in Afghanistan killing at least 26 security personnel. It is also said to be one of the bloodiest attacks in recent times. The attack took place on the outskirts of Ghazni city, capital of the eastern province of Ghazni, which has seen regular fighting between the Taliban and government forces.
“We have received 26 bodies and 17 wounded so far. All of them are security personnel,” Baz Mohammad Hemat, director of Ghazni hospital, told AFP.
It came as the government and Taliban are in peace talks to end the war in the country that has killed tens of thousands of people in nearly two decades. Interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said a suicide bomber had detonated a vehicle full of explosives.
"The bomber drove a Humvee vehicle right inside the base and detonated it," Ghazni governor spokesman Wahidullah Jumazada said. No group has so far claimed the attack. The Taliban has also denied any involvement in the attack.
The Ghazni attack came just two days after the two bombs that killed 14 people in Bamiyan, ending years of calm in the isolated town famous for its ancient Buddhist heritage. In another incident, if suicide car bombing on 29th November, Sunday, a civilian was found dead and 20 others were found wounded in the southern city of Qalat in the province of Zabul, provincial police chief Hekmatullah Kochi told AFP.
The Sunday's bombings were the latest destructions caused in Afghanistan, where violence has surged since the beginning of the peace talks. These brutal attacks have killed more than 50 people in Kabul in recent weeks, including two assaults on educational centres and a rocket attack.